Monday, May 14, 2012

Sound of Music


"Music has charms to sooth a savage breast, to soften rocks, or bend a knotted oak."  - Act 1. Scene 1.  The Mourning Bride, 1697.

I bought a classical CD that I was supposed to give to my friend, but in the end,  changed my mind instead.   I realized, my friend being a classical pianist, she can play all the songs in the CD herself.  I opted to gift her with something else.

Good thing I changed my mind.  The CD turned out to be a gem!  Well, for me anyway...

For your listening pleasure, I compiled snippets from the tracks in the album.  Click the video to listen.

So there I was on my way home from work, listening to the album. When I realized I was so happy and at peace.  All that was lacking was a skip to my step as I got down the car to open the garage door.  And I wondered. Could the reason be music?

Many studies will tell you that indeed music has the ability to affect one's emotional and mental being.   The effect can be a positive effect or a negative one depending on the song being listened to.  While some have the uplifting effect, other music elicits rage, anger, and depression.

But the narratives I like best about music is found in the bible.

1. When God's anointing on Saul was removed because of Saul's disobedience, an evil spirit started to torment Saul.  So Saul asked his attendants to find someone who can play the lyre. And who should the attendants find?  The ever so famous David who composed many of the psalms found in Psalms!    When the lyre is played, Saul felt better.

1 Samuel 16:23 ..."David would take up his harp and play, then relief would come to Saul; he would feel better, and the evil spirit would leave him."


2. Did you ever wonder why we always start Sunday service with singing?  I'd like to think it started many years ago when God's people often started a battle with the Levites singing songs of praise to God before actually hurting anyone.

Numbers 10:9  "When you go into battle in your own land against an enemy who is oppressing you, sound a blast on the trumpets.  Then you will be remembered by the Lord your God and (be) rescued from your enemies."


3.  And lastly, the ever famous story about the falling down of the Jericho wall.

Jericho 6: 2-5, 20  2Then the Lord said to Joshua, “See, I have delivered Jericho into your hands, along with its king and its fighting men. 3 March around the city once with all the armed men. Do this for six days. 4 Have seven priests carry trumpets of rams’ horns in front of the ark. On the seventh day, march around the city seven times, with the priests blowing the trumpets.When you hear them sound a long blast on the trumpets, have the whole army give a loud shout; then the wall of the city will collapse and the army will go up, everyone straight in.”  
(One the seventh day) 20 When the trumpets sounded, the army shouted, and at the sound of the trumpet, when the men gave a loud shout, the wall collapsed; so everyone charged straight in, and they took the city. 

When we praise God with music and singing, something happens in the spiritual realms wherein our physical eyes cannot see, but our heart of faith envisions.  Fighting doesn't always entail having a sword nearby.  When we sing (and pray)  we acknowledge that the battle is the Lord's.

Shout for joy, O heavens; rejoice, O earth; burst into song, O mountains! For the Lord comforts his people and will have compassion on his afflicted ones. (Isaiah 49:13)



No comments:

Post a Comment