Wednesday, April 11, 2012

The Good and Beautiful God 001

While sorting through the books that was delivered to CCF, a colleague of mine suggested that I buy this book. The Good and Beautiful God by James Bryan Smith. He was all raves about it so I decided to give it a try.

As the author puts it, the book is a "curriculum for Christlikeness". At the end of every chapter you'd need to apply the main idea, journal your reflection at the end of the week, and share it with your accountability group (if you are all reading the book together).

Chapter One: Sleep
As early as day one of the first week, it surprisingly dawned on me that I was hard-headed. I couldn't believe it at first but the fact that I was resisting to sleep early as the book suggested made me see how rebellious I was.

1 John 2:16 says For everything in the world--the lust of the flesh, the lust of the eyes, and the pride of life--comes not form the Father but from the world.

I realized I was becoming worldly. Almost every night, I'd sleep at two o'clock in the morning. I know it does nothing for my health but I didn't mind. What surprised me last night was when the Holy Spirit reminded me to sleep early, I actually said no, I didn't want to. Then I suddenly realized how stubborn and anarchistic I was.

In a way, week one day one was successful because it made me see how not of a good person I really was. It made me see my true self and not the good person I thought myself to be. Additionally, I slept 12:00 midnight, instead of my usual 2am. Not there yet but it's a start.

Anyway, it's almost 12mn again. Time to go to sleep!

Note: The Good and Beautiful God is the beginning of a series of three books by the same author. The second is The Good and Beautiful Life. And the last of the series is The Good and Beautiful Community. The book is published locally by OMF and costs P250.

No comments:

Post a Comment